Frontenac House has been publishing literature, art and history books since 2001; during this time we have published over 120 titles. Throughout our history we have sought four specific objectives:
- To achieve overall publishing excellence;
- To nurture the development of writers, focusing on those producing their first book as well as experienced authors;
- To publish diverse Canadian voices covering a wide range of expression; and
- To enhance the appreciation by Canadians of the richness of their history and cultural heritage.
Our core publishing activity centres on our Quartet (occasionally Quintet, and once a Dektet) series of poetry books, usually released in September. These titles are acquired through an open call for submissions, advertised on this site and through other social media tools. Once this call closes, all manuscripts received are evaluated by our acquisitions editors, and a short-list is produced. Those titles are given further scrutiny to arrive at a final selection.
We also publish poetry and other titles outside of the Quartet titles, on a case-by-case basis. We accept unsolicited manuscripts via our email@example.com email account. Please note that your manuscript may not be reviewed for some time after submission, due to constraints on our editors’ time. If you have not received a response within 3 months, please email us an inquiry. Poetry submitted to this address outside of our Quartet call for entries may be put aside for consideration when the Quartet call opens. We will notify you should this occur.
How to submit
Please include all of the following when submitting a manuscript to Frontenac House:
- Cover letter, including all contact information (Mailing address, Phone number, email address)
- CV including previous publications
- Full manuscript (We do not evaluate or respond to synopses or outlines)
- Description of the manuscript suitable for use on promotional material
- Outline of proposed marketing opportunities that you have identified for this title. While we have our own marketing programme, any input our authors can provide is invaluable in focussing these efforts. We expect that our authors will put some effort into the marketing of their own work(s).
We accept submissions either by email or regular mail.
Email submissions will be confirmed and replied to by the sending email account. If you do NOT receive a confirmation of receipt within 30 days, please send an email inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are submitting by regular mail, please indicate whether you want your material returned, and include a SASE with sufficient postage if you do. We prefer to acknowledge receipt by email. If you wish to receive your reply by regular mail, include a SASE with sufficient postage.